Translink Little Reporters: Win £1000 and a journalism experience for your KS2 class.
Calling all teachers!
To celebrate Bus + Train Week 2019, Translink and the Belfast Telegraph have teamed up to offer Key Stage 2 classes across Northern Ireland the chance to become “Little Reporters” and win £1,000 for their school!
As well as a cash prize, the victorious P5, P6 or P7 class will win:
- A Masterclass in Journalism from the Belfast Telegraph
- A Translink Reporting Excursion with free coach travel and lunch
- A published article in The Belfast Telegraph and online
- A framed copy of the newspaper article for the classroom
Translink’s Bus + Train Week (3-9 June 2019) celebrates the importance of public transport in Northern Ireland, and promotes the contribution that it makes in various areas of everyday life:
- Economy: It helps attract businesses here and move goods and people.
- Education: It helps us get to school each day.
- Tourism: When people visit Northern Ireland they like to take the bus and train.
- Environment: It helps reduce pollution and congestion.
- Health: It helps us to walk more and relax.
- Social inclusion: It helps keep everyone in society connected.
To enter, your class must work together or individually to answer the question below, discussing why the bus and train are so important. Teachers may submit one class entry or entries from as many individual pupils as they wish. Please note only teachers may submit entries on behalf of their pupils.
Simply complete the online form below to enter or, if you prefer to enter by post, you can download a PDF version here and send it to us at Little Reporters, Marketing Department, Belfast Telegraph House, 33 Clarendon Road, Clarendon Docks Belfast, BT1 3BG.
CLOSING DATE: Midnight, Wednesday May 01, 2019
Terms & Conditions
Prize Specific Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to teachers of primary 5, primary 6 and primary 7 classes in primary schools located in Northern Ireland.
- Teachers can enter using the form below by submitting either one class or entry or entries from as many individual pupils as they wish. Your class must work together or individually to answer the question below, discussing why the bus and train are so important. Please note only teachers may submit entries on behalf of their pupils.
- The competition opens on 25th March and closes on 1st May at midnight
- The prize consists of a £1,000 cash prize for the winning school, plus a class trip for up to 35 pupils at Belfast Telegraph and Translink offices. The class trip includes return transport and lunch for the class, along with a journalism experience, the opportunity to see their work publishing online and in the paper, and a framed copy of their article for the classroom. The trip will be held on a date which suits the school and organisers during the week commencing 27th May 2019.
- Schools must seek permission from parents to ensure that imagery and details of pupils can be used in the Belfast Telegraph, on the Belfast Telegraph website, social media, Translink’s online and offline communications channels and all related marketing materials. The winning school will be required to sign a waiver to confirm that appropriate consent forms have been collected.
- Schools will be responsible for providing adequate adult supervision and obtaining permission for children attending the school trip.
Terms and Conditions
2. The promoters are Independent News and Media NI, 33 Clarendon Road, Belfast, BT1 3BG (“INM NI”). INM NI and Translink will provide the prize to the winner.
3. If you subscribe to an email newsletter, please note you can unsubscribe at anytime by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email newsletter.
4. By entering, all eligible entrants agree to abide by each and all these terms and conditions. The entry form will be part of the overall terms and conditions. Misrepresentative or fraudulent entries will invalidate an entry. Where a competition involves a voting process: offering or receiving any incentive for voting is not permitted and will invalidate the vote, and may disqualify the recipient of the vote. INM NI reserves the right, with or without cause, to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of these terms and conditions. INM NI reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions. Any amendments will be published on the website.
5. The closing date is midnight on the date included in the additional terms and conditions for online and social media competitions or on the date printed in paper.
6. Promotion is open to residents of Northern Ireland who are over 18 years of age. INM NI reserves the right to request written proof of age from the winner.
7. Employees and agents of INM NI or any company connected with the promotion or any of INM NI’s associated companies are not eligible to take part in the applicable competition, nor are their immediate family members. For these purposes an "immediate family member" includes a spouse, partner, child, step child, grandchild, brother, step brother, sister, step sister, parent, step parent or legal guardian.
8. Each teacher may enter on behalf of their class or individual pupils, however please note that we will only enter into communications regarding the competition with the teacher themself.
9. Use of a false email, name or address by an entrant will disqualify them from receiving any prize.
10. The competition's winning entry will be selected by a panel of judges from Belfast Telegraph and Translink. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence or communication will be entered into. Winner (s) will be contacted by email or telephone.
11. In the case of conflict between these rules and such specific directions/terms and conditions, these rules shall prevail. By participating in this competition, you are deemed to accept these rules and the specific directions/terms and conditions applicable to the individual prizes, as specified above.
12. Failure to claim a prize within 7 days will make any claim invalid. Prizes not claimed within the specified time limit will be deemed to have been forfeited and may be disposed of by INM NI without any liability to the winner.
13. No responsibility is accepted for entries damaged, lost or mislaid and proof of posting will not be accepted as proof of delivery. No entries will be accepted by agents, in bulk or from third parties.
14. Winners will be notified within 28 days of the relevant closing date by email, phone or post. Names of winners of major promotions are available by sending an SAE to Independent News & Media NI, 33 Clarendon Road, Belfast, BT1 3BG up to one month after the closing date.
15. INM NI will endeavour to deliver all prizes before 31st May 2019. Where this is not possible the winner will be notified of the delay. The school trip will be provided week commencing 27th May 2019.
16. Any additional costs and expenses incurred by the prize winner are to be the responsibility of the prize winner.
17. Unless otherwise stated, all taxes, insurances, fees and surcharges are to be the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
18. The determination and decision of INM NI on all matters shall be final and no competition correspondence will be entered into. INM NI reserve the right in their reasonable discretion: (a) to disqualify any claimant, competitor or nominee whose conduct is contrary to the spirit of the rules or the intention of the promotion and to declare as void any or all of their claims or entries based on such conduct; (b) to declare as void any claims or entries resulting from any printing, production and/or distribution errors (including but not limited to any error(s) in the magazine, this website, and/or other printed materials, or where there has been error(s) in any aspect of the preparation for or conduct of the promotion materially affecting the result of the promotion or the number of claimants or the value of claims; (c) to add to or to waive any rules on reasonable notice; and/or (d) to cancel the promotion or any part of it at any stage in the event of circumstances beyond INM NI’s reasonable control.
19. Prizes are non-transferable and may not be re-sold. All prizes, including holiday dates, are subject to availability. If a prize is unavailable due to circumstances out of INM NI’s control, INM NI will take all reasonable steps to substitute the prize with a suitable alternative. No cash alternative will be awarded in lieu of stated prize(s).
20. INM NI accepts no responsibility for the supply, non-supply, purported non-supply or delay in supply of prizes to be provided by a third party including, without limitation, failure of the prize winner to receive ownership of the prize. Prize winners are responsible for booking and/or completing other formalities directly with the specified third party.
21. The promotion may also be declared void should a printing or production error in connection with the competition appear in the magazine or on this website.
22. Entrants acknowledge and accept that publicity may be given to competition winners and winners’ names and images may be published on the Belfast Telegraph and Translink website, social media channels and other website(s) relating to the promotion. Winners must co-operate fully for publicity purposes if so required.
23. All entrants agree not to engage in any interviews or make any statements in connection with or arising from the competition without the written consent of INM NI.
24. INM NI reserves the right to publish entries (including parts of entries) other than the winning entry and publication does not necessarily mean the entrant has won a prize.
25. All competition entrants can opt-in to marketing materials or newsletters by ticking the appropriate box(es) on the entry form. Your data will not be used for any marketing purposes without your consent.
26. Personal data collected from this competition will be held securely for 28 days in order to pick a winner. INM NI will delete this data when winners have been chosen and notified.
27. INM NI will not be liable for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections that may limit or prohibit an eligible entrant’s ability to participate in the competition. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of INM or its employees, INM will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of the winner’s (or their guest’s) enjoyment of the prize.
28. INM NI reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend a competition and/or vary competition rules at any time without prior notice.